Recipe by Barb G.
This is a very good and simple Salad with the Grapefruit and Avocado. The almonds add a salty touch. The reripe comes from Sunset Magazine. My Daughter-in-laws mother use to make a salad very similar to this.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
Tasty and different salad. I enjoyed this unique combination of ingredients and felt it made a lovely presentation with the colorful chunks of grapefruit and avocado. This was a hard sell though to the rest of the family, who felt the dressing was too tangy. I felt the dressing needed a more robust flavor - perhaps additional herbs & seasonings would do the trick. Still, a very tasty,tart salad for grapefruit fans. The nuts were an especially nice touch.
- 2 pink grapefruit (I have used the canned grapefruit)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 firm-ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 12 ounces mixed greens (about 2 quart)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped almonds or 1⁄3 cup roasted salted almond
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion (white & pale green parts only)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- With a sharp knife, cut peel and outer membrane from grapefruit.
- Working over a strainer set over a bowl, cut between inner membranes and fruit to relase segments into strainer.
- Squeeze juice from membranes into bowl,Discard peel and membranes.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, lime juice and grapefruit juice.
- Add salad greens and mix gently to coat.
- Place in salad bowl or put on plates.
- Top with grapefruit segments, avocado, almonds and green onion.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.