1/1 Photo of Grape and Ground Cherry Crumble Pie
This is a traditional Mennonite dessert that I found in a box of paraphernalia from the St. Jacob's farmers market. I grow both ground cherries and grapes, so it seemed like a unique way to use them that wasn't jam!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup cape gooseberries (also called groundcherries)
- 1 cup grapes (I used some Cabernet grapes we grew this year)
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 8 inches pie crusts (I used the Potato Pie Crust from Vicki's Vegan Kitchen cookbook)
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, cool but not cold
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2Toss the ground cherries, grapes, spices, cornstarch and half the sugar in a bowl and pour into the crust.
- 3Combine the remaining sugar, oats and butter in another dish, mixing with your fingers until crumbly.
- 4Sprinkle over the fruit mixture and pat down.
- 5Bake at 400F for 10 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350F and bake 20 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grape and Ground Cherry Crumble Pie
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.5
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 161.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 2.4 g