Years ago, when most farmers milked cows, cream was often used in baking. My grandmother and mother always made caramel sauce on their cinnamon rolls. I have adapted this recipe for the modern convenience of a bread machine, but have kept all of the old-fashioned taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 cup whipping cream (35%)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1Place dough ingredients in bread machine in order given.
- 2Press dough cycle.
- 3While dough is mixing, combine filling ingredients.
- 4In small bowl, combine 1/4 cup soft butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon.
- 5Stir well to mix.
- 6Set aside.
- 7In another small bowl, combine whipping cream, and 3/4 cup brown sugar.
- 8Stir mixture together well.
- 9Place in fridge.
- 10When dough cycle has completed, remove dough from the machine and place on floured surface.
- 11With rolling pin, roll dough to approximately 16x10 inch rectangle, adding more flour if necessary to prevent sticking.
- 12Spread filling onto dough spreading close to edges.
- 13Roll up dough, jellyroll style, starting at long edge.
- 14Pinch seam closed.
- 15Slice into 1 1/2 inch thick slices.
- 16Place in 9x13 pan, that has been coated lightly with non-stick spray.
- 17Place cinnamon rolls in warm place until doubled in bulk.
- 18(About 1 hour).
- 19Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 20Just before placing in oven, remove caramel sauce from fridge, stir once more.
- 21Next, evenly pour caramel sauce over rolls.
- 22Bake for 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown.
- 23Let cool on wire rack for about 10 minutes, then invert.
- 24The gooey caramel sauce will be on top.
- 25Store leftovers in tightly closed container.
- 26Leftovers can be warmed up in microwave.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Granny's Caramel Cinnamon Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 349.4
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 46.2 mg
- Sodium 264.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 25.8 g
- Protein 4.3 g