Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 pickled peppers (Hot or mild)
- Finely chop onions and peppers; mix with sugar, vinegar, and salt.
- Cook slowly until onions are tender.
- Chop tomatoes, and add to the mixture, add allspice and cinnamon; stir well and cook 3 minutes.
- Good on dried peas or beans, boiled cabbage, etc.
This was delicious! I cut the sugar in half and only used half of the spices. I also put the mixture in the food processor when it was done cooking to make more of a sauce type texture. It was fantastic and had just the right amount of heat and flavor. I will keep this and make it again. :)
My grandmother makes a similar sauce. Except hers has green peppers and cloves, no pickled peppers, less vinegar (apple cider,) and I swear it goes on EVERYTHING! Especially good with ham with a side of horseradish.It is very sweet though.
Nice and quick! Used it for a hotdog I was making. Thanks, grandmother Merril and Jellyqueen for posting her recipe.