- 15 medium tomatoes, peeled and each cut into quarters (about 5 pounds)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 6 slices white bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat tomatoes to boiling; stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until tomatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Uncover saucepan and cook 15 to 20 minutes longer, stirring often, until tomatoes thicken slightly.
- Stir in tomato paste, brown sugar,salt and pepper.
- Put cubed bread over tomato mixture.
- Pour melted butter over bread.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.