Recipe by HappyMommy1422
These are wonderful rolls, especially when you slather them with butter. Even I can make these and I don't consider making bread as one of my specialities. My aunt and I compete at Christmas dinner to see who can eat the most. I'm not revealing my record. :)
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lard or 1⁄2 cup shortening (my grandma uses lard, I use shortening. I like hers better)
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in the lukewarm water.
- Sift together flour, salt and sugar.
- Cut in lard.
- Add yeast and water.
- Mix until well blended and keep mixing until dough forms elastic strands.
- Place dough in a greased bowl.
- Cover and allow to rise 30 minutes.
- Place dough on a floured board, smooth gently with your hands and roll out to desired thickness.
- Cut out (and shape, if desired. I usually cut them out with a drinking glass then fold the dough in half.).
- Place rolls in a greased pan.
- Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Brush with butter and bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.