Recipe by jeniwan
The cornmeal adds a nice texture to these. This dish doesn't last more than a few minutes at my house. It's great!
- 1 lb fresh okra
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup bacon drippings (or you can use vegetable oil, but it won't taste as good!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash okra and cut off stem ends. Cut in about ½-inch pieces. Peel potatoes and chop into ½-inch dice. Put okra and potatoes in large bowl. Add chopped onion to mixture. Sprinkle cornmeal, salt and pepper over mixture. Stir until cornmeal is evenly distributed throughout mixture.
- Heat drippings or oil in large skillet over medium heat (oil should be hot, but not smoking hot). Carefully spoon okra/potato mixture into hot oil. Fry, turning mixture occasionally, until potatoes are done and mixture is nicely browned, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Makes enough for 4 or 5 hungry people.