Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My husband's grandmother was known by everyone for her good cooking and her peach cobbler was among her all-time favorite crowd pleasers. Unfortunately she became ill with cancer and, not to sound heartless, but it occurred to me that her recipe would be lost forever. She dictated this to me not long before she passed away. I scribbled it on some paper and hope it's accurate - she was one of those "pinch of this" type of cooks so some of the measurements are guesses. I have made it once and the family said it was her cobbler. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- Make crust by cutting shortening into flour and salt. Roll out into two crusts. Put one into 13x9 inch pan. Bake only the crust in the pan at 350 for about 15 minutes. You don't want it to be completely cooked.
- Put peaches in pan over medium heat. Add sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Mix water and cornstarch and add to peach mixture. Cook until thick.
- Pour peach mixture on top of crust.
- Place second, uncooked crust on top of peach mixture.
- Bake approximately five minutes or until brown.
- Mix powdered sugar and milk making a glaze. You may need to add more milk as needed.
- Brush glaze on top of crust and bake until it reaches a nice color, about five minutes.