1/1 Photo of Grandma's Dill Pickles
2 hrs 25 mins
Nothing wierd about these babies! Just good old fashioned dill pickles ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash cucumbers using cloth and cold water.
- 2Drain, Place in large crock or pot.
- 3Mix 1 1/2 cups salt and 32 cups water to make 5% brine. If you need to, mix more in same proportions to cover cucumbers.
- 4Poor brine over cucumbers and let stand 24hrs, then drain.
- 5Wash and sterilize jars and lids. Keep jars in boiling hot water untill ready to use. Keep lids with seals in simmering (NOT BOILING)water untill ready to use.
- 6Combine Vinegar, 3/4 cups salt, sugar, and 9 cups water.
- 7Tie mixed pickeling spices in cheese cloth and add to vinegar, sugar, salt and water.
- 8Heat to boiling then discard cheese cloth.
- 9Pack cucumbers in clean HOT jars.
- 10Add 2 teaspoons mustard seed, alum, 1-2 garlic cloves, 3 heads dill or 1 tabelspoon dill seed to each jar.
- 11Cover with boiling water, filling jars 1/2" from top.
- 12Put seals and lids on, process in a canner. If you don't have a canner, you can cover the jars with BOILING water and place in your oven at 200F for about 20 minutes. The jars and liquid need to be hot in order for it to seal.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Dill Pickles
Serving Size: 1 (2807 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.8
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 36432.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 26.1 g
- Protein 9.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole mixed pickling spices