Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This ridiculously easy recipe is from a local CSA flyer I received a few years back.Perfect for summertime dining, last minute potlucks, picnics, etc. Be very sure the vegetables are the freshest and best quality. Peeling the cucumbers is optional. Substitute agave or other similar sweetener for the honey if you want the salad vegan. Try a variety of heirloom tomatoes or cucumbers from your garden or local farmer's market for best results. Experiment with flavored honey...lavender, clover, blackberry, etc. It would not be out of line to garnish the vegetables with a favorite fresh herb of choice. Lastly, small garden fresh zucchini can replace all or part of the cucumbers.
- 1 lb cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1 lb tomatoes, chunked
- 1 large onions, sliced thinly (I used a medium-sized Oregon-grown 'Hermiston Sweet' and added 2 green onions) or 1 bunch green onion, sliced (if choosing green onions use both green and white parts)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar plus 1 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey plus 1 teaspoon honey (local honey is best!)
- Arrange the vegetables on a large platter.
- Whisk together the dressing and pour over the vegetables.
- Set aside for 30 minutes to marinate. The salad is best served at room temperature.
- Before serving, season with salt and cracked black pepper.
For personal preference, I replaced the oil with water in this dish. It was so light and refreshing and easy to make. We loved it. Thanks for the recipe.
Very Very good. Easy to make and refreshingly delcious for hot summer night suppers.
Made for Veggie Tag~
This was good but I'm sure it is probably 5 stars with local honey which I didn't have so I am not star rating. I used English cucumber, vine ripened tomatoes, vidalia onion & green onion, sea salt, plus the rest of the ingredients but used brown sugar for the sweetener. I do not suggest it. Made for Chef of the month in Veggie Swap #48 ~ July 2012 ~