Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Wonderful old fashioned recipe that was passed down to me by my Grandmother. These dumplings were ALWAYS a treat at holiday time or for a wonderful Sunday dinner after church.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs (well beaten)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth, plus broth from boiled chicken
- 1 whole chicken (or preferred chicken parts)
- Boil chicken in enough water to cover adding the bouillon cubes when water begins boiling until chicken is fully cooked.
- After chicken is done remove it from the broth and let cool.
- Strain chicken broth, add canned broth and bring back to a boil.
- Mix oil, flour and salt until crumbly, then add eggs and enough water until the dough is stiff enough to roll out.
- Roll out thin, cut into strips, (I use a pizza cutter for this) and drop into BOILING broth immediately.
- While dumplings are cooking, debone the chicken and add to dumplings just before dumplings are finished cooking.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoyed the dish
When it comes to chicken n dumplings, everything is about the dumplings. Unfortuantely these dumplings were so oily they wouldn't stick together to do anything. I had to throw this batch away, and call my friend in Florida to get her family recipe.