Chicken 'n Dumplings - old style
From the ranch. Not to be enjoyed by dieters looking for fat free, low cloresteral health food. This is for hungry hard workin' cowboys.
- Ready In:
- 4 lbs stewing chicken, water to cover
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Cut chicken into serving pieces and place in a large pot.
- Cover chicken with water.
- Add the onion, celery and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer for 3 hours or until tender.
- Remove chicken.
- Strain and measure broth.
- There should be approximately 4 cups of broth.
- If there is more, reduce by boiling; if less, add water.
- Mix flour with a little cold water to form a smooth paste.
- Stir into broth and heat until thickened.
- Add cream, salt, sage, thyme and pepper.
- Remove the chicken from bones and return meat to gravy.
- Prepare dumplings and drop by spoonfuls into hot gravy.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes with out removing lid.
- Serve chicken surrounded by dumplings on a large, deep platter.
- Dumplings: Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Mix egg and milk and stir into the dry ingredients.
- Drop into hot gravy and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Serve with hearty root veggies on the side.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION