Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my grandmother's classic (and easy!) recipe for macaroni and cheese. It looks simple - and it is - but it always gets rave reviews. I've tried others, but I always come back to this!
- Cook the macaroni according to the box instructions.
- After draining the macaroni, stir in the butter or margarine so that it melts in the hot pasta.
- Add 2/3 of the 5 oz. can of evaporated milk. You want the milk to coat the noodles without having too much milk left over in the pot.
- Layer the noodles and cheese in a oven-safe dish. The layering is key to the even distribution of cheese! Start with the noodles, then cheese, and repeat; finish with a layer of cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
When Lauren H and I were roommates in college, this was always my number 1 favorite thing to steal out of the fridge ;) (Though her mexican lasagna is a close second!)
This recipe is deceptively simple and soooo delicious! Lauren H is right - it's exactly how my grandmother used to make mac & cheese :) I was struggling to think of a Christmas gift for a friend, and she told me all she wanted was this recipe!
With all due respect to your grandmother, the noodles do not absorb the milk following these directions. The dish turned out very dry. I've made mac & cheese before and was looking for a new recipe. This won't be it.