Recipe by Lauren H
This is my grandmother's classic (and easy!) recipe for macaroni and cheese. It looks simple - and it is - but it always gets rave reviews. I've tried others, but I always come back to this!
Top Review by meg j-the college gourmet
When Lauren H and I were roommates in college, this was always my number 1 favorite thing to steal out of the fridge ;) (Though her mexican lasagna is a close second!)
- 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni
- 10 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the macaroni according to the box instructions.
- After draining the macaroni, stir in the butter or margarine so that it melts in the hot pasta.
- Add 2/3 of the 5 oz. can of evaporated milk. You want the milk to coat the noodles without having too much milk left over in the pot.
- Layer the noodles and cheese in a oven-safe dish. The layering is key to the even distribution of cheese! Start with the noodles, then cheese, and repeat; finish with a layer of cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.