I got this recipe from All About Apples.com (http://www.allaboutapples.com/cooking/miscellaneous/000186.htm) I looked it up when we had a bumper crop of apples in the backyard last year. I'm posting it now so I can refer to it in my mini apple pie recipe! This jam is also fabulous in plain or vanilla yogurt for your own fruit on the bottom treat!
- Wash 5 or 6 half-pint jars and fill with hot water until needed. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs.
- Measure sugars into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Peel, core and finely chop enough apples to measure 2 cups. Place in large saucepan with water, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in pectin.
- Place pan over high heat and stir until it comes to a full boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and immediately stir in sugars.
- Return to full rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam from surface and stir jam for about 5 minutes to prevent fruit from floating.
- Ladle hot jam into 1 hot jar at a time, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Wipe jar rim with a clean, damp cloth. Attach lid. Fill and close remaining jars. Process in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes (15 minutes at 1,000 to 6,000 feet; 20 minutes above 6,000 feet).