This comes from a rich German heritage. Grandma always made the best "apfel" kuchen. Her recipes were always simple, but tasted great!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix 1 1/4 cup flour, baking powder, 2 tsp sugar, and salt and sift once.
- Cut 1/2 cup butter into dry mix with a pastry blender to pea size.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with 2 T milk and add to dry mix.
- Mix thoroughly and pat dough into a greased or oiled 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Pare and core apples.
- Cut into thin wedge slices and place on dough in rows until covered. We would cover the thin end of one apple with the thick end of the other.
- Dot apples with 2 T butter and mix 3/4 cup sugar, 1 1/2 Tbs flour and cinnamon together.
- Spread dry topping over dotted apples, and bake in oven for 30-45 minutes, until golden brown.