Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Classic Bread and Butter goodness
- 6 medium cucumbers, sliced
- 3 medium onions, sliced in half moons
- 1 cup canning salt
- 3 cups vinegar
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups sugar
- Wash cucumbers well. Slice, then discard any slices with blemishes.
- Mix cucumbers, onions, and salt; let stand 2 hours. Drain and rinse off excess salt.
- Combine vinegar, boiling water, mustard seed, celery seed, turmeric and sugar. Bring to a boil, add cucumbers. Cook 5 minutes.
- Pack into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe rim of jar with a damp paper towel. Adjust 2 piece caps. Process in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes.
- *Test cucumbers for hollowness: if a cucumber floats in a bucket of water, it's a "hollow" cucumber and is good for relish, not pickling.
- **To avoid a cloudy brine or darkened pickles, do not use common table salt (use only canning salt).