Recipe by Doing it Right
I have not tried this recipe, but wanted to post for later on this week. Prep times are estimates. This recipe is from Joanna Lund. The recipe states it can be frozen with success. It looks like a generous portion (which most of her recipes are). I've been in the mood for Spaghetti, but I won't eat anything without knowing the exact Diabetic Exchanges and this will fit perfectly and it sounds delicious. Each serving is only 201 calories. The Diabetic Exchanges are: 2 Vegetables, 1 Protein and 1 starch.
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, chopped (unpeeled)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups tomato sauce (one 15 ounce can)
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili seasoning mix
- 3 cups cooked spaghetti, rinsed and drained (hot)
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (6 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8-by-12-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, saute zucchini and red pepper for 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
- Add tomato sauce, salsa and chili seasoning.
- Mix well to combine.
- Stir in spaghetti and 1 cup cheddar cheese.
- Spread mixture evenly into prepared baking dish.
- Evenly sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese over top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes.
- Divide into 6 servings.
- HINT: 2 1/2 cups broken uncooked spaghetti usually cooks to about 3 cups.