Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I'm not sure where this recipe came from, but my Grammie has been making it her whole life. Her mom was born and raised in Poland and Grammie makes a lot of Polish recipes, so I wonder if this came from her mom? Anyway, it is delicious. My Grammie made this for Christmas breakfast for over 30 years and passed the recipe onto me as cooking got too difficult for her. Enjoy!
- In large skillet, cook sausage meat, breaking lumps, until no longer pink. Transfer to bowl and pour off fat.
- Add butter to skillet and cook onion and apple until softened. Sprinkle with cayenne and add to meat.
- In large, heavy saucepan bring chicken broth to a boil. Add Farina in a stream, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in eggs, then stir in meat/apple/onion mixture.
- Line a 9x5 loaf pan (or two smaller ones) with buttered wax paper and pour in scrapple. Rap pan on counter to eliminate bubbles and press down with spoon. Cool and then chill in frig. overnight wrapped in plastic wrap.
- Slice and fry in butter til slices are browned. Can serve with eggs or warm syrup or sauce.