Balkenbrij - Dutch Scrapple
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Hollanders like plain, substantial food and lots of it. From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooling time not included in preparation time.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 lb lean pork
- 1 lb pork liver
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove (or to taste)
- buckwheat flour
- Cover meat and liver with water and cook until tender, about an hour.
- Season to taste.
- When broth has reduced by half, chop meat finely and return to liquid.
- Stir in enough buckwheat flour to make a stiff batter; cook until thickened.
- Lightly grease a loaf pan; fill with batter.
- To use, slice and fry in butter or bacon grease until golden brown.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION