1/1 Photo of Grammie Bea's New England Boiled Dinner
4 hrs 25 mins
Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
New England boiled dinner is often made with a smoked ham shoulder, and that's the way we always had it at my house growing up. The flavor is incredible and makes for a DELICIOUS meal! Some people like their vegetables firm and some like them soft and tender, so cook your veggies accordingly. The cooking time for this particular recipe is 4 hrs. for an 8 lb. ham, or 5 hrs. for a 10 lb. ham. Another way of cooking veggies is, wait until ham is cooked and removed from water, then cook your veggies in the water in the kettle to the desired doneness. Sometimes I use boneless ham and add turnip and beets, just like in the photo I posted. Yummy!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place ham in a large dutch oven style kettle.
- 2Cover with cold water, and fill to about 2" above top of ham. Cover kettle, and bring to a boil using high heat.
- 3Turn down to med-high and let boil a few minutes, then drain water, and refill with water 2" above ham, and bring to a boil again over high heat. This method is used to make the ham less salty. (Or you may refrigerate ham overnight in water, and change water several times before cooking instead).
- 4Once water comes to a boil, turn heat down to med. to med-high making sure it keeps boiling. Keep cover on kettle while cooking.
- 5Add peeled onions to the kettle.
- 6Cook ham 1/2 hour per pound of ham.
- 7Add some water to the kettle, when it starts getting low.
- 8Peel and cut potatoes and carrots.
- 9Wash and core cabbage, then cut into wedges.
- 10Add vegetables during the last 30-40 minutes of cooking time. Serve when veggies are tender, or to your liking.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grammie Bea's New England Boiled Dinner
Serving Size: 1 (1148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1278.1
- Calories from Fat 481
- Total Fat 53.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 312.4 mg
- Sodium 7927.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.2 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 114.9 g