I've been making this forever. I like it because it's full of flavor, I get lots of meals out of it, and I can save (freeze) the liquid to use to flavor other vegetables like collards later. I save (freeze) the ham fat off the meat to flavor beans and etc. also.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 25mins
- 5 -6 lbs smoked pork shoulder
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut in wedges, washed
- 2 -3 lbs potatoes, peeled, cut in large chunks
- 8 large carrots, peeled, cut in large chunks
- 2 large onions, cut in chunks
- 5 parsnips, peeled, cut in chunks
- black pepper
- Put the smoked shoulder in a large pot big enough to hold it with a little extra room. Add enough water to cover it. Cook the shoulder on medium-low for about 2 1/2 hours. Turn the shoulder over in the pot halfway through the cooking time. Once meat is done, take out of pot and set aside. Keep warm. Keep liquid in pot.
- Put all the vegetables in pot liquid. Cook on medium-low for 20 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. Remove from pot with slotted spoon and put in serving dish.
- Serve vegetables with ham while hot.
- (Freeze your pot liquid, ham fat, and ham bone to flavor other things later.) *I usually make this on a weekend when I'm gonna be home all day.