Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an "OUT OF THIS WORLD" old fashioned recipe that my gram always made when I was growing up, and she always brought it out when company came, and that was often! It is one of my 3 favorite fudge recipes, and it is DELICIOUS!!! I am posting the other 2 also. This fudge is different than most fudges, not the soft creamy kind... Has a different texture and taste... All I know, is it's one that will have you back in the dish searching for more, till it's gone :)
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons marshmallow cream, heaping
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter, heaping (optional)
- Stir first 4 ingredients together in a heavy cast iron pan. Bring to a boil.
- Boil briskly until mixture forms a soft ball in a glass of cold water (238 degrees F using a candy thermometer).
- Take off stove. Stir in marshmallow, walnuts and vanilla. You can also add a heaping T. of peanut butter too!
- Pour in well greased 9x13" pan, and let cool.
- Cut into 2" squares, and refrigerate if desired.
- Store in airtight container.
- Note: I can tell you from experience, it is best to use the candy thermometer, and DO NOT make on a rainy day, as it will not harden properly! I always make it with the peanut butter.
this makes a ton of wonderful fudge, I even added in another tablespoon of cocoa for a more chocolate flavor and I did add in the peanut butter, thanks for sharing Linda!
This chocolate fudge is just a little different than I have ever made before. Make sure you bring it up to temperature before pouring into the pan! Hands down the best fudge I have made in a long time, and we love it loaded with nuts!
I love old fashioned recipes for fudge and wanted to make this for some time. I made it to go in my Christmas cookie bags to be enjoyed by my family for the holidays. This fudge was a sensational addition, and you can bet I will be making it again and again and enjoyed every time too! Seriously, this fudge is so much better than any other I have had, and I am thrilled to death I found it here on Zaar!