Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is so good! I got the recipe from my M-I-L. The middle is very rich, and tastes like a really creamy ice cream. NOTE* The eggs in this recipe are not cooked.
- 22 graham crackers, crumbed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Grease an 8x8 pan.
- Melt half of the butter in a skillet, and mix well with graham cracker crumbs.
- Place half of the graham cracker crumbs in the bottom of your 8x8 pan, press down and let cool.
- Add the chopped nuts to the pan.
- Take the other half of the butter and cream with the powdered sugar.
- Separate the eggs, add the yolks to the sugar one at a time and beat thoroughly.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold in with the sugar,egg and butter mixture.
- Add the vanilla.
- Stir the sugar mixture in with the whipped cream, make sure it is incorporated well, but don't over mix.
- Place in the 8x8 pan and top with remaining graham cracker crumbs.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 3-4 hours or until hard.
A few weeks ago my grandfather was taking about an icebox cake that his grandmother used to make...this sounded a lot like what he was talking about so I made it and took it to him on Christmas Eve. I was worried about how it was going to come out but it was WONDERFUL!!!