Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From NYTimes.com. Originally published with The Restaurant Is Small and Intense, And the Chefs and Waiters Are, Too By MOLLY O'NEILL, May 29, 1991
- 12 graham crackers (to yield 2 cups crumbs)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus butter for greasing pan
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put the graham crackers in a brown paper bag, and smash them up. Squish and pound vigorously. Sitting on the bag insures very fine crumbs. You should end up with about 2 cups.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over low heat. Stir the eggs and honey in a bowl with the melted butter.
- In another bowl mix the graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pour half the graham cracker mixture into the honey mixture and stir well. Add the milk to the honey mixture, and stir again. Add the rest of the crumbs, and mix well.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan, and pour in the batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cake is nicely browned. YIELD 8 servings.