Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe from the goya bean bag. I added garlic and sour cream and also used a little more bacon. My husband and kids loved it.
- 1⁄2 lb dried great northern beans
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pennette pasta
- grated parmesan cheese
- sour cream
- Sort and rinse beans.
- Boil beans in 8 cups of water for 2 minutes (do not drain).
- Set beans aside and soak for 1 hour.
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp reserve 1 tablespoon of drippings in pan and remove bacon to drain on paper towel.
- In pan with drippings cook onion, carrot and garlic until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, bouillon cube, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoe mixture to beans.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Add 1 cup of water and bring back to boil.
- Add pasta and bacon.
- Cook 8-10 minutes more or until pasta is al dente.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese and a dolop of sour cream.
I liked the soup a lot but next time I would probably sub smoked ham for the bacon. I didn't have pennette pasta so I used ditalini. It makes a thick, hearty meal. Thanks for posting. Made for Bargain Basement cooking tag game.