Recipe by Skooch
Outstanding recipe that came from Gourmet Magazine.
Top Review by Acerast
Great pasta dish!! I had not cooked with Havarti cheese before and was absolutely thrilled with the result! It melted nicely into the pasta and contributed great flavor! To suit my family I used only half of the crushed red pepper which resulted in a hint of heat - perfect for us. I also measured the juice from the tomatoes, added water to equal 2 cups of liquid, and also added chicken bouillon -all in place of the chicken broth. I did make it ahead and baked it later - that worked well according to your directions. Delicious! We'll make this one again. Thanks Skooch.
- 88.74 ml olive oil, divided
- 354.88 ml chopped onions
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 3 (2381.35 g) can Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 9.85 ml dried oregano
- 59.14 ml finely chopped fresh basil (optional)
- 7.39 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 473.18 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 591.47 ml packed grated havarti cheese
- 78.07 ml sliced black olives
- 78.07 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 453.59 g penne pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy Dutch oven; add onion and garlic and saute 5 minutes.
- Mix in tomatoes, oregano and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, breaking up tomatoes with the back of the spoon.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta until just tender; drain and return to same pot, toss with remaining oil.
- Pour sauce over pasta, toss to blend.
- Mix in Havarti cheese and transfer to a 13x9x3 baking dish. Sprinkle with olives, basil and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes in preheated 375 degree oven.
- Note: Can be made ahead and refrigerated. Increase baking time to 1 hour.