Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
Although I like this best using malt vinegar, tarragon vinegar also gives a delicious result. Prep time includes time to steam the crabs. This is a modified Welsh recipe.
- 2 crabs, boiled or steamed
- 4 tablespoons fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
- salt, to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 ounces grated double Gloucester cheese or 2 ounces cheddar cheese
- Lay the crabs on their backs and twist off the claws and legs and set aside.
- Pull the body and shell apart and discard any green matter and the so-called'dead man's fingers' (the greyish gills).
- Scoop out all the meat from the shells and put in a mixing bowl.
- Crack the claws with a hammer to obtain all the white meat and add to the dark meat.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the lemon juice, vinegar, salt and cayenne.
- Add half of this mixture to the crabmeat and mix well.
- Clean the crab shells and pile the crab mixture into the shells.
- Top with the remaining breadcrumb mixture and grated cheese and bake at 425°F for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is brown.