Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Really hearty soup for those cold nights! (source: supermarket flyer)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth, plus enough water to equal 8 cans
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained, chopped and juice reserved
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Melt butter in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and brown on all sides for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add beef, flour and paprika; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste until smooth.
- Add chicken broth and water, tomatoes and reserved juice, carrots, bay leaf, marjoram, caraway seeds, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Add macaroni and simmer until beef is just tender and vegetables are cooked through, about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Top each serving with sour cream.