Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I've been baking since I was a teenager and these were the first cookies I ever made. Favorites to this day! Just so you know; it's better to add the ginger to taste. I like to add extra myself.
- Sift first six ingredients together.
- Cream sugar and shortening; add egg and molasses.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Form walnut-sized balls and roll in a little sugar.
- (can refrigerate if a little sticky, or use a bit of flour).
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
I followed the recipe (using margarine) but I put all the batter into an 8x8 pan and baked it for about 27 minutes. They turned out great. The recipe is sweet and moist with just the right amount of spice.
These worked out fanastically! Much much better than store bought ginger snaps. The recipe makes loads of them! But didn't stop them dissapearing quickly! I used black treacle instead of mollases as I couldn't get any
Fantastic recipe! I made a few changes to suit our tastes: I pressed them with a cup to get thinner crisper cookies, and baked for 10 mins. I omitted the cloves and doubled the ginger. YUM! This is a keeper!