Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is not only good for you, but also good in you--Making it a healthy comfort food. The recipe comes from HeartHealth.com.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup 1% fat buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 (1/4 cup) container margarine
- 1 teaspoon canola oil (to grease pan or use pan spray)
- Preheat oven to 350°f.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar,and baking powder;In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg, beat lightly.
- Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to dry ingredients; add margarine, and mix by hand or mixer for 1 minute.
- Pour mixture into an 8x8-inch greased baking dish, bake for 20 to 25 minutes, cool, cut into 10 squares.
This was good for a healthier version of corn bread. However I had to use a lot of butter on my piece, other wise it was a little on the dry side and not as flavorful as my normal corm muffins. It probably wasn't any healthier by the time I was done. I served with a mexican casserole.
This was my first attempt at baking a cornbread. I was trying to find one that is similar to a hometown diner in Seaville, NJ called Dino's. This was not the one but pretty good, nonetheless. I baked this up today for the Zaar Healthy ABC game. Here are a few notes that I made and this may have made the difference in the recipe: 1) I used Whole Wheat Flour, 2) Splenda, 3) 2% buttermilk (that's all I could find), 4) liquid egg whites, 5) real butter and 6) Pam w/flour instead of the oil to grease my pan. Thank you for the recipe but I am going to keep searching...one additional note: I think this bread would be very tasty with a chili or something of that nature. Thanks for posting!
This is the first time I have made cornbread, and Barb, your recipe was wonderful! My 6yo son gobbled up 3 pieces, and asked me if I would make it again soon - you have a winner with us, thank you so much for sharing this terrific recipe. It's a keeper!