Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another great recipe from Diane Mott Davidson's "Killer Pancake." (Read her books...The Goldilock's Catering series is a realistic and suspenseful cozy collection.)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 2 1⁄2 cups diagonally sliced asparagus, tough ends removed
- 1 teaspoon mashed and chopped baked garlic (see note)
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant-blending Wondra Flour
- 2 tablespoons light cream cheese (neufchatel(not nonfat)
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 9 ounces cholesterol-free fettuccine pasta
- 1⁄2 cup chopped arugula
- Heat a medium-size nonstick saute pan.
- Remove from heat, and spray with vegetable oil spray.
- Add onion, and saute until limp--5-10 minutes.
- Add asparagus and garlic, cover the pan, and turn off the heat (the steam from the onion will steam the asparagus).
- In a large skillet, combine the dry milk and skim milk, and whisk until blended.
- Add flour, stir, and cook over med-high heat until thickened.
- In a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons of this sauce to the cream cheese, and stir until smooth.
- Return this mixture to the hot sauce.
- Add parmesan, and stir until melted.
- Keep hot.
- If the mixture gets too thick, thin it out with small amounts of skim milk.
- Cook fettucine according to package directions.
- Add hot pasta and garlic and vegetables to the sauce in the skillet.
- Stir and cook over medium-low heat until heated through.
- Serve garnished with chopped arugula.
- To bake garlic, preheat oven to 350. Place a whole head of garlic in a small baking pan. Drizzle one tsp of olive oil over the head, add 1/4 cup of water to the pan.
- Bake, loosely covered for 45-60 minutes or until soft.
- The cloves will slide right out, and can ve mashed, chopped or served whole.