Recipe by Inspiritual
I found this recipe in Deborah Madison's book Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone as I was looking for a low carb barbecue sauce. It has a good flavor, but is more of a vinegar based barbecue sauce then the sweeter sauces that are produced commerically.
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until thickened and onions are moistened.
- NOTE: You can use this warm or cold and it will last in the refrigerator for several weeks.
- NOTE: you can also add 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar if you like it sweeter. My second batch, I added SPLENDA brown sugar.to give it a sweeter taste and to also keep it low carb.