Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe differs slightly from MarieAlice's as it uses applesauce in place of the oil and prunes instead of nuts for a lower fat version. These are extremely moist that you will want to refrigerate and/or freeze what you will not use in 3 or 4 days. Those of you on Weight Watchers, I've calculated that one muffin is equal to 4 points.
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 4 cups shredded apples (approx 6 medium)
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped prunes (12 oz pkg)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Line 36 muffin tins with papers.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt& cloves.
- Add apples, carrots, coconut, raisins, applesauce, and prunes.
- Mix well.
- Add milk, vanilla, and eggs; stir just until moistened.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes.
- Immediately remove from pans to cooling rack.
Oh, these are wonderful!! I halved the recipe but kept the 2 egg whites. There is a ton of wonderful healthy stuff in here. I must tell you that I have tried many muffin recipes with lots in them, and often they don't have the right proportions of stuff to flour. This was perfect. I loved the prunes. They added some nice sweetness. Oh, and I used 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup splenda. We will make these often! Thanks so much, Claudia Dawn.