Recipe by cyaos
I received this recipe from my mother-in-law and they quickly became a guilty weekend pleasure. The sauce listed with it is incredible and compliments the spring rolls wonderfully. If you do like less heat, cut down the chili paste to 1 tablespoon or less. It says to cook them in a deep-fryer but we have cooked them very successfully in a pan with about 1-1 1/2 inches of vegetable oil. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do! UPDATE: The pictures accompanying this recipe are when we baked them and didn't fry them. For this healthier option just bake them at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, flipping once.
Top Review by L DJ
Am so glad you gave baking instructions. I made these for my grand children (minus the spicy sauce, just gave them a little 1000 island) I added a little jullienne carrots for good measure. My granddaughter, who is the world's pickyest eater, had three. I was so pleased. Thank you for sharing.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs salmon fillets, boneless
- 8 -12 spring roll wrappers (or egg roll wrappers)
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh gingerroot, minced
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
FOR THE LIME CHILI MAYO
- 1 cup mayonnaise (low fat is fine but no Miracle Whip)
- 2 tablespoons chili paste (Sambal Oelek or Sriracha sauce)
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, chili paste and the lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set the sauce aside.
- Divide the salmon evenly into 8-12 portions. Try and slice them in 1 x 1 x 4 pieces (about the size and shape of a candy bar). If you can't make them all the same size you can mix and match smaller pieces to make a portion.
- Heat a deep-fryer filled with canola oil to approximately 350°F.
- Make a paste with the flour and water.
- Place your spring roll wrapper on an angle so that it is a diamond. Close to the bottom corner, place a portion of salmon, 1/2 tablespoon of garlic and ginger each and some cilantro.
- Carefully start to roll from the bottom corner wrapping around the salmon. When you are about halfway up the wrapper, fold in the side corners tightly and finish the roll.
- Smear a small amount of the flour paste at the top right corner and seal the roll shut.
- When you are close to serving the spring rolls, submerge them in hot oil about 4 at a time and cook until golden brown, or about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with the mayo in dipping cups.