Recipe by Vicki in CT
From the Pirate's House Cookbook. The cooking time is long but worth it.
Top Review by FL0WER
Great recipe. Was looking for something simple. Unfortunately managed burn the onion despite reading the note to be careful not to - but pressed on. Didn't have bread but grated the cheese straight into the soup. Was a little bitter from the burned onion - but still tasted good - so imagine it would be fantastic if made correctly.
- 2 lbs onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 33 ounces campbell's beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- swiss cheese
- French bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy pot. When foaming add onions and salt. Fry for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Be careful not to burn or they will become bitter. Let onions turn a deep, rich brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour. Return to heat stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in liquids. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pour into crocks, top with thick slice of French bread and then Swiss cheese. Broil until bubbly.