My French Onion Soup
Perfection simplified. A rich tasting soup that everyone will think you slaved over. Better than that you get at the fanciest place! The house will smell great too! Slightly freeze the onions for ease in slicing and less tears.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 3 -4 large Spanish onions, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cans beef broth
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 1⁄4 cups water
- salt and pepper
- dry garlic bread
- mozzarella cheese
- swiss cheese
- In large dutch oven, melt butter.
- Saute onions until golden brown.
- Add flour and blend.
- Add broth, and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer cook on low at least 3 hours.
- Serve in ovenproof bowls, with garlic croutons floating on top.
- Cover croutons with mozzaarella or swiss cheese and broil until the cheese melts.
- This also works very well in the crockpot all day on low and freezes well.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
3/13/2010: I made a triple batch of this for an International Festival that hosted 900 family members of a local scout organization. Everyone loved it and I promptly started to get recipe requests. I'm gladly sharing the link on facebook! Thank you for such a simple and delicious recipe! UPDATE 3/31/10: I made some alterations to a batch of this soup to make it vegetarian. 3 cans veggie broth, 4 cubes Knorr vegetable bullion. It was FABULOUS! Thanks, again, for this great recipe!Reply
see 24 more