Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
People have told me that this chili could win contests. We make this for our traditional Christmas eve dinner.
- 3 lbs ground round
- 4 cups beef broth (or buillon)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot dried red pepper (optional)
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Put beef broth or buillon on low heat to simmer.
- While broth heats up, brown ground beef and drain excess fat, add to broth.
- While beef is browning, chop onion, add to broth.
- Add tomato paste, chili beans to broth.
- Add garlic, chili powder, oregano, basil, cumin.
- Add red peppers, salt, pepper, if desired.
- Simmer at least 2 hours.
- Serve with grated cheese on top.
- You can omit the red pepper and/or change the chili powder to teaspoons, if you like yours milder.
I have a very picky family. So it is hard to please them. I made you chili and it went over with a BANG!!!!! Also, this was extremely simply to make. I had just about everything at home already. Thanks for the receipe.
Hi and thank you for welcoming me to this site. My only comment on this recipe is that most people when they see oregano think automaticaly of "Italian". Not so, the oregano gives this chili a very distinctive flavor when blended with the other spices. I use it in many other dishes including "Polish"