Prep 8 hrs
Cook 12 mins
These gnocchi taste great. Recipe can be cut in half.
- 4 lbs white potatoes, peeled, quartered, boiled, and then mashed
- 4 eggs
- flour (see the directions for the amount of flour)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup grated romano cheese (may also use parmesan or asiago)
- Peel, quarter, and boil the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes. Put them in a bowl and refrigerate at least over night.
- In a larger bowl, place the COLD mashed potatoes.
- Add the exact same amount of flour as potatoes. (Use the bowl as the measuring instrument.).
- Add the remaining ingredients. Knead into a soft dough.
- Add flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Separate the dough into four balls. Cover with a clean dish cloth and let rest.
- Break a piece off of one ball. Roll into a long snake about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into pieces about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long.
- Place each gnocchi on a cookie sheet, and then freeze.
- After the gnocchi are frozen, fill plastic containers with the frozen gnocchi.
- They will keep in the freezer for about 4 months.
- To cook:.
- Drop individual gnocchi in boiling salted water. Let them boil, gently, after they come to the top of the water for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the water with a slotted spoon. Place in a heated Pyrex baking dish, cover with tomato sauce, and then bake in the oven for 10 minutes.