Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Flour tortillas for those of us who can't eat the ones they sell at the grocery store. They should work just fine with regular flour, too! Thanks, Living Without!
- Mix first 5 ingredients in bowl.
- Using mix master or stand mixer with paddle attachment (or a good wooden spoon with elbow grease), mix, adding water in small amounts just until soft dough is formed and well blended. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut two gallon-size zip-loc bags in half on parallel sides so that they open up into two rectangular sheets. Lightly sprinkle some brown rice flour on one of the ziploc bag halves.
- divide tortilla dough into 8 equal pieces. shape each piece into a ball and place it on the floured bag.
- Place the other ziploc bag on top of the ball and flatten it with the bottom of a small, heavy saucepan. Then roll flattened dough out using rolling pin, rotating to maintain a circle-shape tortilla. If dough seems to be sticking, gently peel off the top piece of bag and dust with flour. Replace bag, flip over, and repeat on the other side. Continue until the dough is about 1/8 inch thick.
- Heat non-stick skillet. Make sure the heat is high. Place one rolled tortilla dough onto hot skillet surface. Cook for a minute or less. Turn over for a few seconds.
- Continue until tortilla shells are cooked. Keep covered until serving. To keep tortillas warm, wrap them in a damp towel in an oven on low heat or quickly microwave.