Recipe by PennyG
This is from the book " Make it Fast, Cook it Slow", by Stephanie O'Dea. I Love this gluten free cookbook for simple everyday crockpot recipes. Her comments, " I'm impressed with the way this tastes, and how it behaves when used in recipes instead of canned soup. It is thinner, and is brown instead of white, but packs a flavourful punch.
- 2 lbs mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 quart milk, added later
Directions See How It's Made
- Use a 6 quart cooker.
- Wash the mushrooms well and cut into quarters.
- Put into the stoneware and add the salt, pepper, onion, seasoning and lemon juice.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and water.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Carefully blend with a handheld immersion blender until soupy. If you don't have an immersion blender, carefully blend in batches in a traditional blender.
- Stir in the milk. You can use any fat percentage you'd like - even heavy cream.
- Let cool on the counter for a few hours, then pour into freezer bags or plastic containers in 2 cup portions, and freeze.
- You can use this soup for cooking in lieu of canned cream of mushroom soup.