Recipe by eileenray
This is a gluten free variation of a recipe from "My Daily Dinner Cookery Book", which cost my mother three shillings, or $AUD0.30 many years ago.
- 125 g butter or 125 g margarine
- 1⁄2 kg mixed dried fruit
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 apple, deseeded and chopped (or grated)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup besan (chick pea flour)
- 1 cup glutinous-rice flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Place butter, spices, fruit, bicarbonate soda, apple, water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- 2. Boil for two minutes.
- 3. Cool a little.
- 4. Sift dry ingredients.
- 5. Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- 6. Bake at 175C for 50-60 minutes.