Recipe by kda949
This is a traditional Swedish mulled wine. The recipe is from my husband's grandfather's family who came to the states from Sweden in the 1900's. It is YUMMY! Very warming on cold nights- but be careful, it goes down so easily that it's easy to drink too much and the hangovers are awful! Enjoy!
Top Review by LoddieCheftress
This was really good with 1 cup of brandy added to it. Warm it on the stove and just serve as the night goes on. Very addictive. Also, make sure to use green cardamom pods and not the white ones, for better flavor.
- 3 liters red wine
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon cardamom pod, cracked
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 cup blanched almond
Directions See How It's Made
- In a non-reactive pot combine raisins, sugar, cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks and almonds.
- Cover with water and simmer for 2 hours.
- Turn off burner and add wine.
- Let sit for 1-2 hours.
- Remove raisins and spices, either by straining or with a slotted spoon. Save the raisins to snack on! Just make sure the kids don't get them--they are STRONG!
- To serve, heat in individual mugs in the microwave, adding a shot of vodka if you are really daring!