Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a traditional Swedish mulled wine. The recipe is from my husband's grandfather's family who came to the states from Sweden in the 1900's. It is YUMMY! Very warming on cold nights- but be careful, it goes down so easily that it's easy to drink too much and the hangovers are awful! Enjoy!
- 3 liters red wine
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon cardamom pod, cracked
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 cup blanched almond
- In a non-reactive pot combine raisins, sugar, cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks and almonds.
- Cover with water and simmer for 2 hours.
- Turn off burner and add wine.
- Let sit for 1-2 hours.
- Remove raisins and spices, either by straining or with a slotted spoon. Save the raisins to snack on! Just make sure the kids don't get them--they are STRONG!
- To serve, heat in individual mugs in the microwave, adding a shot of vodka if you are really daring!
This was really good with 1 cup of brandy added to it. Warm it on the stove and just serve as the night goes on. Very addictive. Also, make sure to use green cardamom pods and not the white ones, for better flavor.
Wonderful. Lots of flavor. Warm, sweet, fruity & spicy. The perfect dessert wine for winter.
My Swedish father-in-law wanted to make Glogg this year for Christmas. I found your recipe, and he and I prepared it together. I have to say that I agree with you about how easy it is to drink too much of it--it is so flavorful and warm going down. I will definitely make this recipe again and again!