Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
The bourbon heightens the orange and apricot flavors of the cake, rather than making the cake taste of alcohol. I got the recipe from a cooking.com email.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup Bourbon
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
For Glaze and Sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups apricot jam
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons Bourbon
- FOR CAKE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch high sides. Line bottom of cake pan with parchment paper; butter paper.
- Using electric stand mixer and paddle attachment, beat sugar, butter, orange zest and salt in large bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Gradually beat in bourbon. Add flour and beat just until blended. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake until tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Transfer pan to cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, combine jam and vanilla bean in heavy small saucepan. Melt jam. Strain. Cool completely. Stir in orange juice and bourbon. Pour 1/2 cup glaze over cake, let stand 5 minutes. Pour another 1/2 cup glaze over cake. Cool 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack. Place cake right side up on rack and cool cake completely.
- Cut cake into wedges. Transfer cake wedges to plates. Drizzle remaining sauce over and around cake and serve.