1/2 Photos of Gladys' Meat and Noodle Casserole
1 hr 15 mins
This is an old family recipe that everyone always likes. Don't leave out the green onions or the green chilis, they really make the dish! The original recipe called for only half a small can of green chilis, but I usually add the whole can.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice (to taste)
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 8 green onions, diced
- salt, for noodle mixture
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1Brown meat and drain.
- 2Add salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, tomatoes, tomato sauce and green chilis. Cook ten minutes and turn off heat.
- 3Boil water for pasta, adding 1 t salt and no oil. Cook noodles for 7-8 minutes and drain.
- 4While noodles are still hot, add sour cream, cream cheese and green onions.
- 5Grease a large, deep casserole dish. I use one that's just over 10 x 10 and about 3 1/2 inches deep.
- 6Layer noodles, then meat, then noodles and then meat.
- 7If you make this up the day before, stop at this point, cover and refrigerate. When ready to cook, let casserole sit out of the fridge for a half hour and increase cooking time by 10-20 minutes.
- 8Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. If your casserole is in a larger (more shallow) pan, reduce the cooking time slightly.
- 9Add grated cheese and continue baking until cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gladys' Meat and Noodle Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.7
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 80.3 mg
- Sodium 482.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 15.5 g