Recipe by puppitypup
This is an old family recipe that everyone always likes. Don't leave out the green onions or the green chilis, they really make the dish! The original recipe called for only half a small can of green chilis, but I usually add the whole can.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (7 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice (to taste)
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 8 green onions, diced
- salt, for noodle mixture
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat and drain.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, tomatoes, tomato sauce and green chilis. Cook ten minutes and turn off heat.
- Boil water for pasta, adding 1 t salt and no oil. Cook noodles for 7-8 minutes and drain.
- While noodles are still hot, add sour cream, cream cheese and green onions.
- Grease a large, deep casserole dish. I use one that's just over 10 x 10 and about 3 1/2 inches deep.
- Layer noodles, then meat, then noodles and then meat.
- If you make this up the day before, stop at this point, cover and refrigerate. When ready to cook, let casserole sit out of the fridge for a half hour and increase cooking time by 10-20 minutes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. If your casserole is in a larger (more shallow) pan, reduce the cooking time slightly.
- Add grated cheese and continue baking until cheese is melted.