Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Had to attempt to duplicate a hot selling MN State Fair vendor sandwich! This is close -- hope you enjoy the slight switch from a sloppy joe/meatball and/or loosemeat hoagie!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage or 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 garlic cloves
- pizza sauce, of choice
- sliced mozzarella cheese
- hoagie roll
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until slightly translucent.
- Add fennel seeds - saute for a minute.
- Add meat and brown.
- Once mixture is combined and browned - spoon mixture into hoagie bun.
- Top with desired amount of pizza sauce.
- Add sliced cheese - enough to cover all meat and edges of bun.
- Broil until cheese is melted.
I'm giving this four stars before I even make it because I live in MN and also love the Gizmo at the State Fair. I would also say that banana pepper rings are a great addition!!!
A great sandwich, I used half hot and half sweet italian sausage. I put this mix with provalone cheese on grilled italian bread. I added additional italian seasoning to the pizza sauce, only because I like it. I served it open face. It has had rave reviews. I did make up an extra batch and froze it in single sandwich servings. Worked great!
Very good! The instructions didn't say what to do with the optional green bell pepper, so I added them to the onions and garlic in step 1. Thanks, LiisaN! Made for Aussie Swap.