Recipe by Pesto lover
This makes a soft, spongy, cake-like gingerbread. From robertsplace.ca, a great source for British recipes.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup light molasses
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pecans
- 1⁄2 cup soft raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour a 9x13 baking pan.
- Mix together in a bowl the flour, soda, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Mix well.
- With a mixer, cream together the butter and cream cheese with the sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time until smooth and fluffy.
- Reduce speed of mixer to low and add in the molasses and hot water. Keep beating until incorporated. Add in flour mixture, by large spoonfuls untill well blended.
- By hand, mix in the pecans and raisins with a large spoon.
- Pour batter into baking pan and bake for 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool well before slicing.