Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
These waffles will make your whole house smell like gingerbread - my family loves them.
Make and share this Gingerbread Waffles recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 large eggs, seperated,room temperature
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk the buttermilk, molasses and yolks.
- In the clean, dry bowl of your mixer, whip the whites with the sugar until they hold firm peaks.
- Blend the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients just until they are combined.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Then gently fold in the whites.
- Follow the directions for using your waffle iron to cook the waffles.
- Notes: These waffles are especially nice made in a heart shaped waffle iron, but if you don't have one, a regular waffle iron will do.
- I like to top them with either sauteed apples, homemade applesauce, or for a treat, a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some chocolate syrup.
Oh boy! I reviewed these a long time ago, went to make them again this past weekend, and realized my review never went through! I made these during my thanksgiving break at home sometime in November *LAUGH* and my family LOVED them, and begged me to make them several times while I was home over my break. I will be making these on special occasions from now on. Thanks for this recipe and sorry for the delayed review.. hehe :-P
I have been making these for years, and just realized that I'd not reviewed them here. DH they taste like a fine pastry. They are so aromatic and truly special.