Makes eight 4-1nch waffles
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- ground cinnamon (optional)
- In a medium mixing bowl beat sugar and shortening together until fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses; beat until combined.
- Combine the flour, baking soda ginger, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, salt, and cloves.
- Add to sugar mixture; beat until smooth.
- Stir in the hot water.
- Pour 1 to 1/4 cups batter onto grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle baker.
- Close lid quickly;do not open until done.
- Bake according to manufacturer's directions.(Do not overbake.).
- When done,use a fork to lift waffle off grid.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- If desired serve warm with with sweeten whipped cream and additional cinnamon.
- Makes eight 4-inch waffles.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
very real gingerbread flavor! I served these with warm syrup, cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top with a dollop of whipped cream. They're very flavorful- maybe not such a good breakfast, more of a dessert. After cooking, they come out of the iron very cake-like and soft. But kind of crisp up when cooling. However they really soak up syrup like no other waffle I've ever seen! All in all, they are a wonderful taste of christmas no matter what time you choose to serve them!Reply
Delicious!! These are very different and very yummy. They go together very quickly and easily. I served these with apple syrup, although they are sweet enough without any syrup. My family really loved these waffles and gave them 2 thumbs up. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe which I made for PAC Fall '06. This is a keeper!!Reply