Recipe by NotElizabeth
This recipe was a lifesaver when I wanted to make a nice breakfast but didn't have any milk. They are gently spiced and not too sweet.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 6 tablespoons shortening or 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs until they are lemon-colored.
- Add the sugar to the eggs and beat again.
- Add the molasses to the eggs and beat again.
- Melt the shortening or butter in the hot water.
- Add the hot water mixture to the egg mixture alternately with the flour mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Bake on a hot waffle iron.
- Serve with warm applesauce.
- Note: The cooking time is for each waffle.