Recipe by Audrey M
What a treat to serve to those you Love! Great as an appetizer, dessert or just for breakfast.
Top Review by Shan B.
I know this is an old posting, but I have made this 5 times now because it's FANTASTIC. I have had people even ask me to make it for them for birthdays. I used an orange icing as well as the lemon sauce based on who was getting to eat it. This is a solid keeper.
- 1 cup softened butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- 1 cup water (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine (optional)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter beating well on medium speed with an electric mixer; gradually add sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg is added.
- Combine flour, soda, and spices; set aside.
- Combine molasses and sour cream.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Mix just until blended after each addition.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 10 inch Bundt pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes then remove and cool completely on a wire cake rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve with Lemon sauce, if desired.
- Lemon Sauce: Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan, stirring until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Add remaining ingredients; cook until heated.